Friday, August 11, 2017

Weekly Writing Tip - August 11

Create a ritual before you write.

Okay, I know this sounds hokey, but I've recently incorporated this into my writing process and it helps me get focused much more quickly.

What do you mean, James? Create a ritual?

Great question. What I suggest is that you do something to lead into your writing practice. When I coach soccer, I always start with a warm up to get everyone's muscles loosened up and get their minds focused. When I run I start slowly and build up my speed gradually. When I go skiing I put on my skis...okay that's not a great example, but I think you get the picture.

When people write, they like to just plop down and start writing. There's no warm up, no transition from other activities, no warning to the mind and body that now we're going to be creative and disciplined at the same time. I've heard some writers like to say a prayer before they write, others meditate, some read over the writing from the day before. (I personally think that last one can be a time trap. I can't tell you how many times I've been sucked down the rabbit hole of revising my work from the day before rather than moving the story forward.) For some writers this ritual might just be moving into their writing space, the spot they retreat to in order to lay down those words. This could be an office, a quiet corner of the house, or a shed out back. The point is, you're moving from ordinary life into your creative life. Give your mind and body a chance to prepare with a small ritual. I think you'll be surprised how this helps jump start your writing practice.

Over and Under,
James

No comments:

Post a Comment