Monday, January 19, 2015

Time for a Reset

After finishing Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way program I decided my next goals would be to meditate twice a day and go for an aimless walk once a day. I'd try to do these two things for 60 days and I chose them because meditation and walking, especially aimless walking, have been shown to be beneficial for creativity. 

Here's why I need a reset: I haven't been meditating twice a day and I certainly haven't been walking once a day since I set those goals. 

What's gone wrong?

First of all, I don't think I really defined what I meant. For instance, what kind of meditation should I be practicing? How long do I walk for? Second, I don't know if I really believed in the program. 

That's why it's time for a reset. I'm not abandoning meditation or walking, I just need to define my terms a little better. Plus, I've been reading a lot about the magic of the 90 day goal setting method, so I'm going to go for 90 days rather than 60.

I'm going to follow the rules laid out in the link below:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/netapp/2013/03/20/90-day-goals/

 So, I'm going to set three personal goals, which are just for me. My professional goals I will share:
  1. I will finish my latest writing project
  2. I will meditate twice every day for 10 minutes at a pop (this can include seated meditation, Julia Cameron style morning pages, or post yoga meditation - savasana)
  3. I will run or walk for at least 20 minutes every day (I love running 5k-10k and I know this can lead to an increase in creativity, just as much as walking)
That's my reset. We'll see if I come out more creative on the other side.


No comments:

Post a Comment